Wholesome, moist, and nourishing with a surprise center of blueberry preserves.
- 1 ½ cups bran cereal
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Clearbrook Farms Wild Maine Blueberry Preserves
- Combine the bran, vegetable oil and raisins in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over the mixture. Set aside.
- Mix together the eggs, buttermilk and the molasses in a small bowl. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir buttermilk mixture into the softened bran mixture. Add the flour mixture, stirring only enough to moisten dry ingredients; do not over blend. Cover bowl and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees/
- Grease 12 muffin cups and fill each cup half full. Place about a teaspoon of Clearbrook Farms in the center of each muffin cup. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake muffins for 20 – 25 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.